Total Pageviews

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Last 2 Days in Kawete

We treated this 2 year old for malaria, an ear infection and diarrhea.

Giving the medicine and directions to her Mom.

Another toddler with an ear infection. 

She was not happy with my attention.  My patients in St. Louis cry sometimes, too.

I saw this Mother for allergies and ear infections!

This girl had 2 draining ear infections and allergies!

She brought some corn from her garden to thank us for helping her!



The little boy on the left returned after 2 days of treatment for malaria, diarrhea, and sinus/ear infection and his Mom was so happy because his fever and diarrhea were over and he was eating again!  She gigled she was so happy!  I treated his little brother for malaria, too.


I have had an amazing experience as a Pediatrician in Uganda!  On Sunday, we did not open the "office" but I did give a couple of boys some medicine for scalp fungus that I noticed and told some Mom's of infants and toddlers to return on Monday for care.  Sunday as you probably already know was a day of celebration!  We dedicated the School for the people of Kawete!  We heard speeches and had a church service including plays and singing by the Youth Group of Kawete that lasted 5 hours.  This was followed by a great feast!  We had Chicken, Beef and Goat meat with potatoes, rice, greens, beans, plantains and more soda than 500 bottles of soda!  It was fabulous and the food tasted great especially since I was very hungry!  After the festival dancing to African music occurred and I joined in!  It was alot of fun.  I do not have any video to post but I bet someday it will be on YouTube!  I danced with alot of Moms and some young ladies too!  It was fun.  After I was finished I officially declared myself part Ugandan! 

The next day it was back to work with my last few patient visits.  I treated 1 toddler for Malaria, a couple more with allergies/sinus infections. I treated more scalp fungus, too.  I saw and treated about 60 children and adults in my 3 1/2 days.  I could have worked for at least a couple of weeks longer.  We were able to keep the village stocked with lots of medical supplies and I will maintain contact with Violet to address ongoing health needs for the community.  I did share the dream that one day hopefully someone from CCLS-Uganda will one day be a Doctor or Nurse and return to Kawete to care for the children, too!  I feel very blessed by my experience.  I love the people of Kawete and I hope you all do, too!  Please pray for them.  Life is hard in Kawete and yet the children go to school, play, smile and are full of joy just like at CCLS in St. Louis.  God Bless the families of Kawete!

No comments:

Post a Comment